Friday, September 19, 2014

Colonial America Party!

We were originally planning this party as a picnic at a nearby park, but then the weather got uncertain, so we rescheduled it to be at a group member's home.

Learning to weave
She had been helping me plan it, including the fort tour we went on, and she found out that we could borrow a table top loom from the Seattle Weaving Guild. The kids really enjoyed trying out this skill, I think everyone took at least one turn.

Spinning
I brought a drop spindle and some roving, and the kids tried making their own yarn. A couple of them actually got pretty good at it, and we ended up using the whole piece. Moira has been begging to do this some more, but I need to research how to prepare the roving better first because this batch was hard to work with. We also brought along our little knitting doll and a crochet hook and I showed everyone how those are used, but that was less popular then the main attraction.

Hula hoops
There was a selection of games, similar to the ones we saw at the Fort, along with tops and a ring toss. For our potluck we had popcorn, apple cider, raspberries, baked beans, apple pie, and a couple of other things I forget. Mostly the kids had fun playing with all the things and didn't want to sit still for food until it was time to go.

Potholder loom
When we got home, I pulled out my old potholder loom and Moira spent the afternoon working on that. She loves it, but isn't willing to try taking them off herself.
I should mention that she really wanted me to make her an outfit for this one, and I had the fabric picked out, but there wasn't enough time. So she came up with something from her outfit and wore it to both this party and the Fort. I thought it was a pretty good choice given what she had to work with.




Colonial America Kids Books

If You Lived In Colonial Times
4 of 5 stars
tagged:
colonial-america-kids-books
Homespun Sarah
5 of 5 stars
This was my 6 year old's favorite of the books we read about Colonial America. I love how it showed how much work goes into creating a new dress.
tagged:
colonial-america-kids-books
Our Colonial Year
3 of 5 stars
tagged:
colonial-america-kids-books
Phillis Sings Out Freedom: The Story of George Washington and Phillis Wheatley
4 of 5 stars
I did a lot of searching to make sure that we were representing the stories of more then just the white Colonial view. This book was lovely, and it talks a little about slavery but not the more terrifying aspects of it. I especially like...
tagged:
colonial-america-kids-books
George vs. George: The American Revolution As Seen from Both Sides
4 of 5 stars
This was a lot longer and went into more detail then I expected, but it also held my 6 year olds attention completely. I like that it talks about the bad reasons the American Colonists had for separating along with the good, and the good...
tagged:
colonial-america-kids-books


goodreads.com




Our trip to Fort Nisqually

No comments:

Post a Comment