Monday, November 18, 2013

Learning about Mexico and the Day of the Dead

We had our second cultural celebration. The month's theme was Mexico and Dia De Los Muertos, since we have these parties at the end of the month.

Ofrienda
We followed these instructions to make an ofrenda for my father's mother. I'm not sure why Moira picked her instead of my more recently deceased grandmother, probably because we have a big portrait of her in our living room. Absent any knowledge of her favorite foods and drinks we kept it simple with water and fruit. After the party we added the Pan De Muertos someone had brought, and Davis' sugar skull.

Davis makes a sugar skull
The best part about doing these events with a group is farming out the hard work. Two people collaborated to bring the supplies for sugar skull decorating, and as I mentioned, someone else made gluten free, dairy free Pan De Muertos. I had supplies for the children to decorate paper butterflies in honor of their loved ones.

Ready to craft
I wasn't able to find marigolds for the party, so we bought some chrysanthemums, and Moira and I made some giant paper flowers, which you can barely see in this picture. Also, without planning it, my roommates and I ended up serving Mexican food three nights in a 5 day stretch.

Books
Here are the books we read! Click the title to see the whole list.




Mexican Kids Books

Me, Frida
5 of 5 stars
We have checked this out before, but Moira was very interested in it this time. She especially liked that this is the story of Frida's visit to San Francisco since we were going there for Walker's birthday and it tied the two things toge...
Just a Minute!: A Trickster Tale and Counting Book
4 of 5 stars
I thought this one was great, but my kids seemed unimpressed. A grandma puts off death for one whole day so she can have her birthday party with her grandkids, and death has so much fun he decides to visit for her birthday every year.
Daniela's Day of the Dead
5 of 5 stars
I kind of love these Cloverleaf books about different holidays. Moira has checked out Marco's Cinco de Mayo multiple times. In this case I really appreciated that it helped us have a conversation about the Day of the Dead and how it is c...
Blue Frog: The Legend of Chocolate
4 of 5 stars
This is a version of the Aztec fable of how humans got chocolate. Moira was more taken with this than I was. She especially liked the hot chocolate recipe in the back, and showed it to everyone who came over for a couple of weeks.
The Dead Family Diaz
4 of 5 stars
A family of skeletons is getting ready to go up to the land of the living for Dia De Los Muertos. The littlest gets separated and scared and ends up meeting a human child. They both discover that they didn't need to be scared of each oth...


goodreads.com


1 comment:

  1. Very cool! Too bad we were off pumpkin patching, because I was sorry to miss this, but at least I got a Wordless Wednesday out of it, hey? We'll take your ideas and have our own little Día next year. The sugar skulls are really neat.

    ReplyDelete