Thursday, May 30, 2013

Time for art

Ever since our trip to California where Moira had multiple meltdowns about her art not looking "right" I've been trying to do more directed art together. She had mostly stopped doing anything but scribbles for quite a while, and I was just kind of ignoring it.
So now, I'm trying to show her techniques.
IMG_5020.CR2
The first one we did was pointillist art. I explained the plan (draw a picture, and then fill it in with a qtip), and then I started making my picture while she experimented with the materials and made a bunch of abstract pictures.
Moira's sun
After my picture was half finished, she took a closer look and decided to start a new picture. She also drew a sun, with a tidal wave at the bottom. She made a few more sun and water pictures, which she gave away before I could take pictures.
After that, when we sit down together she's been much more interested in what I'm doing, and hearing about new techniques for art.
My scribble
Most recently, I showed her a different scribble technique, she told me when I suggested it that she already knew how to do it, but then when I started scribbling she decided to give me a try anyway.
Moira's scribble
Here is Moira's scribble. It includes a pond and a frame, two of her favorite things to draw right now.
Davis's scribble
Davis made one two. He didn't tell me anything about it.
Messy baby
I figured that since we are doing more art for Moira, I should set up some more baby friendly art activities. Like the corn syrup paint I made for Moira's first paintings. He liked it, as you can see.
Davis's corn syrup picture
Here's his finished picture. He only ate a little bit of the corn syrup.
Moira's dragon!
This is Moira's. She loves to pile paint and glitter glue and that kind of thing in one spot on the paper, and I've been trying to convince her to spread it out a little, you know, so it can actually dry. I like how it looks like a dragon now.

7 comments:

  1. Weird preschool art stages can be so annoying. My least favorite was the put-ten-stickers-on-top-of-each-other stage, similar to the piling glue on one spot. I don't know what is so fascinating about it, but I swear, they do get over it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I need to stop getting stuck on what she'll do in the future and just enjoy the present.

      Delete
  2. Wow, these look like so much fun! I would really like to do more art projects with Daniel, but he really gets caught up in asking me to do everything for him instead of doing it on his own, which I find frustrating after a while. Do you have any suggestions for snapping him out of that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira went through a phase like that. I stated setting up her favorite activities (cutting and paint based) and then having a very important thing I had to do, like get dinner started. Something she was already used to me doing while she was supposed to entertain herself. Once she got used to that I expanded the range of what I'd offer, like a tray of things to make a snow man picture out of (precut circles, black, orange, and white pens, snowflake stickers...).
      But that was a lot of work, so I stopped doing that. She asks me to do it occasionally still, but she seems old enough to understand that if I'm making my own picture, I'll chat with her and help her bounce ideas, but I won't make her picture for her. When she asks me to do something for her, I usually either show her how I do it (like when she wanted to know how to draw a heart) or ask leading questions, "what shape dress? Is it long or short?" I've found if I get her started thinking about the thing she wants to draw, half the time she figures it out.
      The biggest problem I've had with this is that other adults will draw pictures for her, so it took a while to get her to figure out that my art rules were different.
      We've also started playing "the exquisite corpse" especially at restaurants. The fact that her part had to be secret, and the finished person looks so ridiculous helps her not get too focused on a specific idea.

      Delete
  3. This looks like fun! My son is really into art, but more as a solitary activity. I like the idea of exposing him to different techniques though...maybe that's something he'll let me do this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe just sitting next to him while you do your own thing would work for him? I've known a few kids who preferred that kind of side by side work to anything close to teaching, but they still learned plenty.

      Delete