Thursday, February 7, 2013

Why the 6 Ingredient Challenge?

My friends Lauren and Amy are hosting a challenge to try and only buy foods that have 6 ingredients or less. The prompt for the first week of this challenge is "Why do you want to participate in the Six Ingredient Challenge?"

Gratituous shots of the eating baby

That's easy, actually. I want to do this because I mostly already do. There are a handful of things we keep on hand that have more than 6 things in them, like soy sauce and salad dressings. Also we have a number of gluten free things on hand, because of Moira's wheat sensitivities.

I'm going to alter the challenge a little bit for us. The first one being that I'm not starting until today (the challenge started on the 1st), because the kids and I went on a road trip planned. The second thing is that I've been thinking about going through my Grandma's recipe collection for awhile, and updating the recipes. This seems like the perfect time to try that, so once a week, I'm going to rework a vintage recipe to use whole, simple ingredients. Lastly, because I mostly cook gluten free for Moira, there will be some things I continue to buy, like GF bread, that have more than 6 ingredients.

Anyway, I'm hoping it will be fun to play along!

Six Ingredient Challenge buttonJoin the Six Ingredient Challenge hosted by Hobo Mama and Anktangle!

We're on a six-week path to eat more whole foods, guided by one simple rule: Buy foods with six ingredients or fewer. And we're blogging about our journey on the way.

This week we're answering the question: Why do you want to participate in the Six Ingredient Challenge?

You can see all the responses to this question on February 7 at the link-up post.

To join in the Six Ingredient Challenge anytime during the six weeks, visit the sign-up page for a list of posts and to link up!

***

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the idea of going through your Grandma's recipes and updating the collection! I hope you'll write about that at some point during the challenge. =) And thanks so much for joining along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I agree with Amy, please share those updated recipes! I love to find new things to try and using old family recipes is so neat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The vintage recipes sound so cool! I'll be honest — we haven't used up our salad dressings yet still, so they're all more than six ingredients. We keep thinking we'll design our own once we've used them up. ;) We'll see! (Apparently we need to eat more salads…?)

    ReplyDelete