Monday, February 4, 2013

Make a grass skirt from ribbons




I wanted to make Moira a grass skirt for our week of learning about Hawaii. The tutorials I could find mostly used crepe paper for the "grass" which seemed like a poor choice with a baby around who would want to touch it. I did find a new sew ribbon one, but decided to sew the ribbons on for added play security. Moira likes it, although she refuses to wear anything under it when she puts it on. Davis even asked to wear it today. I didn't get any pictures, so you will have to take my word for how incredibly cute it was.

Supplies:
Waistband elastic, cut to a little bigger than the waistband on a pair of currently fitting pants.
Lots of skinny ribbon, cut into 18" lengths. I used mostly 1/4" ribbon, and some seam tape because that's what I had on hand. You could use any width you want.
Thread.
A sewing machine.
Fray check (Optional, but I should have done it)

Start
Sew the ends of the elastic together, overlapping 1/2". I like to sew straight, back and forth twice, so that I stop in the same place I started.
Line up the first piece of ribbon with the top side of your elastic loop. Sew back and forth down the center of the ribbon, in the same way you attached the ends of the elastic together. If you use ribbon wider than 1/2", I recommend sewing down both sides of the ribbon instead. Your finished skirt will be less stretchy but not really enough to matter.
Add another
Place the next piece of ribbon right next to the one you already sewed on. Repeat ad nauseum.
Bundle ribbons
You will want to stop periodically and bundle the ribbons up, so that you don't have to worry about keeping all the little ribbons from looping back under your needle. I did mine in five sections. Continue sewing ribbons on until the elastic is full.
Finished skirt
Now you have a finished skirt! I should have fray checked (or hemmed) all the ribbons, but I didn't think how much it would ravel. It turns out the answer is, a lot! I plan to knot all the ribbons, I think the extra weight on the ends would help keep the ribbons from tangling when it gets thrown on the floor.

1 comment:

  1. Cuteness! I'm already getting bored thinking of sewing on all those ribbons… But it looks worth it!

    ReplyDelete