Wednesday, February 13, 2013

How I'm doing on the 6 Ingredient Challenge

Six Ingredient Challenge buttonJoin the Six Ingredient Challenge hosted by Hobo Mama and Anktangle!

We're on a six-week path to eat more whole foods, guided by one simple rule: Buy foods with six ingredients or fewer. And we're blogging about our journey on the way.

This week we're answering the question: How is the Six Ingredient Challenge going for you so far?

You can see all the responses to this question on February 14 at the link-up post.

To join in the Six Ingredient Challenge anytime during the six weeks, visit the sign-up page for a list of posts and to link up!

***


So, how is the Six Ingredient Challenge going for me so far? So so, I'd say. Creating a meal plan for dinners using whole ingredients isn't hard at all. And the kid's lunches are planned out, although those plans rely heavily on premade gluten free products right now. My big problem is breakfast and lunches for me. I have a hard time adding any more meal planning on before my weekly shopping trip, and I tend to alternate between premade meals and dinner leftovers for my breakfasts and lunches. Ideally, I can create lunch plans for the kids that also appeal to me, but that is really not likely to happen with breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. Lunches are always hard for me, too! I tend to have most of the budget spent for dinners and breakfasts and end up getting very little for lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breakfast for me is often a string cheese, so I don't know of what you speak. ;) We don't meal plan, but we have several ingredients in the fridge that are ready to be assembled into a meal at any time. For instance, Sam makes this awesome taco meat that we just keep in the fridge all week (I'm very un-food-poisoning-phobic, I guess), and I just scoop out a little and warm it up, slice up some cabbage, add some salsa and pre-packaged guacamole (Wholly Guacamole), and instant taco salad in 5 minutes. He also will make a huge bowl of broccoli-bacon salad or 2 dozen deviled eggs, stuff like that, that we can pop in a bowl or in our mouths as we go. Could you do some things like that? I realize it's still planning ahead, because you have to make the main items at one point (kind of like once-a-week cooking, whatever that's called).

    Since my kids won't eat anything I eat (sigh), we often offer fruit, burgers (we buy frozen packs), (natural) hot dogs (sometimes cut into pieces with a toothpick, for flair), cheese, etc. — all easy to heat up quickly. You can ignore my advice if you weren't looking for any and just wanting to share; I just love talking. ;)

    As I wrote in my post today, I totally get that this challenge makes for more cooking, and that's both an adventure and a bummer. When we first started, I began to feel like Sam was never not in the kitchen, and it was cutting into our time together and his time with the kids. Things have evened out a bit now, though, with our time-cutting measures like the above.

    ReplyDelete