Friday, February 1, 2013

Hawaii week

We watched Lilo and Stitch a couple of weeks ago, after which, Moira asked to learn more about Hawaii. I got a little excited by all the things that we could do, and now that Moira has learned the names of all the islands in the chain, she has requested we learn about Oahu next. Heh.

Activities

Hawaii week
She was especially interested in a Hula costume. I decided a ribbon skirt would be much sturdier than one made out of crepe paper. The post is here. She made the lei out of fake flowers and cut up straws, and the lei po'o (the wreath) I put together with the leftover leaves and hot glue. She has requested a little tube top like Lilo wears.
Walker took Moira and Davis to the special Hawaiian celebration at the Aquarium, and she hasn't been interested in seeing any more hula since, preferring to make up her own.


We did this Tsunami activity, with quinoa instead of sand, which meant I had fresh cooked quinoa for lunch. Score! I think we are going to have to talk about tectonic plates soon, because she has been playing earthquake lately, and she was very interested in why the waves get big.

We also opened a coconut, following along with this video. It was harder than she makes it look, but I did get it done before she finished talking about the medicinal qualities of coconuts, and then we made a smoothie with the flesh and coconut water.

Food

This was hands down Moira's favorite part of learning, and why she wants to do another island next week. I did some research and what a traditional Hawaiian breakfast is, and settled on bagels and fruit (leaving off the fish I'm pretty sure she wouldn't eat first thing in the morning. For lunch, I tried to make ham and pineapple skewers, but the fancy no sulfite ham I bought broke down when put in contact with the pineapple. She had them separately for a little and then decided she didn't like ham.

The two dinners I planned were more of a success. I'm sure this most of what we ate is pretty mainland mainstreamed, but I tried to concentrate on things that used tropical ingredients, without coconut, since I hate coconut. We had this pineapple rice.

With this chicken. The leftovers were excellent, but I wasn't home for dinner that night, so I can't vouch for it on the first night.

My sister has dinner with us every other Friday, so I planned a big dinner that night. If you follow that link, we had the Macadamia crusted chicken, fried plantains, and a vegetable only version of the stir fry noodles. We also had egg rolls and my Mom made fruit salad and a papaya dressing for the green salad. Our nightly tradition is for everyone to talk about their favorite part of the day, and this time we included our favorite parts of Hawaii.

Lastly, we had Haupia (coconut milk pudding), which even the coconut haters among us liked.




Shannon's bookshelf: hawaiian-kids-books

Dog-of-the-Sea-Waves
5 of 5 stars
This was my favorite of the Hawaiian books we read. It had a glossary of animal and plants in the back, along with a map of the whole chain of islands. It was a story about some of the first explorers to come to Hawaii, so it also covere...
Georgia in Hawaii: When Georgia O'Keeffe Painted What She Pleased
4 of 5 stars
I loved this book, and thought was beautifully illustrated, but Moira was not so interested in it.
Grandma Calls Me Beautiful
3 of 5 stars
I had high hopes for this book, because I love "Mama Do You Love Me?", and "Papa Do You Love Me?", which are also by her. This one didn't gel as well for me, but I did really like how it explained many aspects of traditional Hawaiian cul...
Pig-Boy: A Trickster Tale from Hawai'i
4 of 5 stars
This is cute, and Davis gravitates towards it when he sees it at the library. It seemed really familiar to me, but I can't remember actually reading it before.
High Tide in Hawaii
2 of 5 stars
So many people I know have kids who've loved the Magic Tree House books. We read a few chapters of this one, but Moira really didn't like it. To the point where she decided it was MY book, and bought me another one in this series when sh...


goodreads.com




Of course, we also watched Lilo and Stitch multiple times. Because why not?
The pins I collected to get ready for this week are here on my Learning Around the World Board. I need to collect some more ideas for the requested second week. We will likely talk more about geography, and making volcanoes is already on our calendar. Do you have any suggestions for good Hawaii themed activities?

3 comments:

  1. Volcanoes is a favorite activity of Sam's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank you for not making Spam...

    Sounds like she had a great time with this one.

    ReplyDelete