Monday, January 14, 2013

Davis Recommends: First Favorites

Welcome to a new occasional series! Sort of! I used to talk about the books Moira really loved, or that I really loved reading to her on a semi regular basis. But as she got older I stopped. Davis has recently discovered a love of picking out which books we should read, and some clear favorites have been uncovered. Here they are!

Mama, Where Are you? by Diane Muldrow: I bought this book when Moira was about 2, because I thought it was sweet. She loved it for awhile, but Davis REALLY likes it. Sometimes we read it 5 or more times in a row, with him going to the shelf to select another book, and coming back with this one every time. Each page has a baby animal on a flap asking the same question, then you lift the flap to discover that Mama is right there, teaching a lesson, or caring for the baby.

But Not the Hippopotamus by Sandra Boynton: The Hippopotamus does not want to do anything until pressured by it's friends. Hilarious!

Slide 'n Seek Shapes by Chuck Murphy: I've mentioned these books before in a Moira Recommends. It's an interesting concept and a well executed way to have parts of a board book's pages slide out, but I doubt they could make it strong enough for a toddler to not rip it all apart. The pictures are cute, but I think he could have tried harder to find something shaped like a triangle.

2 comments:

  1. I was so surprised when I read your reaction to "But Not the Hippopotamus!" I love that book. Of the set of 8 we have it is my favorite - but only because I interpret it completely differently. I don't see peer pressure at all.

    I see someone who isn't exactly shy but is too nervous to ask to be a part of the things she is interested in, and all it takes for her to participate is an invitation.

    I even read this to my Weight Watchers meeting on a week where the topic was exercise. A lot of people think "oh, I'm not a runner" because they have a picture of what runners look like in their head and they don't look like that, and often feel like people would make fun of them for trying. So I read it to show that there aren't any rules of who is allowed in the community of "fit" people, and you can find a place to welcome you in anywhere.

    Just my 2 cents. Well, more than 2 cents, since this comment has more words than the actual book has, but you know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great how even kid's literature can bring out such different things in different people? I'm an introvert, and if I was in that actual situation, not sure if I wanted to join in, and then a whole crowd of people came running up to me to encourage me to do it, I would feel pressured, and like I wasn't allowed to say no without being a party pooper, and I would probably not enjoy the activity even if I had been leaning in the direction of yes.
      All that said, we all really love reading that book. I love the rhythm and cadence of the words.

      Delete