Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday Surf: Depression and Anger

That sounds much more angsty then it actually is. I've read two great posts lately about the negative feelings that really resonated with me, so I wanted to share.

Radical Mental Self Acceptance, by Issa at "Live, Love, Grow" articulated something I've been mulling over for awhile now. Who are we to say that a negatively focused personality needs to be changed? And while I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking, "Maybe if I accept that I'm an anxious person, I will be less anxious!" I do wonder how much easier I would find life if I just accepted that this is part of who I am.

And while this doesn't directly speak to my experience, there are a lot of parallels between Parenting an Angry Child, and my experience parenting a sad child. In fact, struggling to figure out what the balance needs to be between helping Moira learn to deal with and move past her sad feelings, and honoring and acknowledging her truth is what has inspired my introspection about my own feelings. She has always been sad, and while that has colored my relationship with her, I don't think I CAUSED it (except maybe at the genetic level). I have noticed that since I've stopped trying to force her to be happy all the time, we have a lot fewer extended sadness moments.

If you are interested in either of the above links, I HIGHLY recommend reading the comments. There is a lot of wisdom and just general encouragement that we are not alone in our struggles there.

Sunday Surf with Authentic Parenting and Hobo MamaI'm joining Authentic Parenting and Hobo Mama for Sunday Surf. Share your best reading of the week, and link up your post at either blog!

For more great reading, visit Hobo Mama or Authentic Parenting for the latest Sunday Surf and linky.

Happy Surfing!

No comments:

Post a Comment