Monday, December 12, 2011

Welcome baby

Davis Owen Hillinger
I finally went into labor the night before we were planning an induction. My midwife had told me on Wednesday that the reason things weren't starting on their own was that the baby was hanging out with it's head resting on my on pubic bone. She tried to push him off, but he wasn't interested.
He continued to rest on that bone for most of my 15 hours of labor. We tried a lot of things to get him to move off, but nothing worked until my water broke. Seconds later, he was crowning and 15 minutes later Davis Owen was out.
Mommy and Davis
Apparently my body is designed for a quick active labor and pushing stage, and too much bleeding afterwards. With both Moira and Davis, I had a super speedy delivery and then post partum hemorrhaging that landed me in the hospital. In California the bleeding was entirely stopped by my midwife and the EMTs, and the Dr I saw only tried to shame me for having a homebirth and watched my stats without doing any tests other then making sure I could stand up and walk without fainting. I insisted that they let me eat a sandwich before I tried that one since I had just, you know, given birth.
Davis and Daddy
This time, everyone was wonderful and complimented me on my home birth, and complimented my midwife on her excellent care of me, and basically treated us both like people. Oddly, I was much more compliant and willing to do things their way this time. Just like last time, nothing was actually wrong with me, except for a slightly paler then normal appearance, some slight shakiness, and a tiny temperature. The thing that kept me in the hospital so long was the iv antibiotics, which means I saw three Dr's (day, night, next day) each of which wanted to do a new test, just to be sure. I guess the last Dr couldn't think of anything else to test for after the test to see if I had pre eclampsia came back negative, so we were released slightly earlier then expected.
Hug!
While all of this was happening, Moira was visiting her friend Jenna. They had both been hugely disappointed last month when my first round of labor stalled just in time for Moira to come home for bedtime. Jenna's Dad is a saint who apparently had to go into the room they were in every hour to settle her back down. I expect the next few days will be interesting while Moira settles back into our regular routine after a night away.
Davis and Runny Bunny
Jenna's Mom helped her pick out flowers for me, and a present for Davis, a pink ballerina ornament which she was excited to show him, but explained it was fragile and we should put it someplace high. The present I let her pick out was this pink blanket bunny thing, which she was less excited to give him, because she really wants it to be for her. She really wants to help change his diaper, but so far every time we've tried with her help, it's been clean. She got to "help" him eat, but I'm probably going to have to explain now why she doesn't get to slap my breasts every time. She also wanted to put him in a dress, but sadly, all the dresses we have are for bigger babies. I pointed out that Davis gets to decide for himself what to wear, just like she does, but I'm sure he'll end up being her doll for awhile.
Happy family
Despite the exciting start, everything is going well. Even the little dent in Davis' head from resting on my pubic bone for so long is gone. There was a short grumpy period from him while we were in the hospital but since then he's been eating and sleeping well. The midwife didn't have time to do the full check on him because I was being so overdramatic with the bleeding, so we don't know how long he is yet, but we should find out tomorrow. What we do know is this:
Born at 12:08 on 12/11/11, weighing 9lbs 4oz.
(Added after his check with the midwife) Length is 21", head is 14".
Yargh
Moira at birth
Yargh
Davis at birth
I was looking to see how similar they look, and it amused me that we randomly have a picture of both of them with the same expression at roughly the same number of hours post birth. I don't think they really look that much alike, other then that most babies look generically baby like at first. There's also the 3 and a half week difference in their gestation that makes a huge difference.
That's all I have for now. I'm really looking forward to sleeping in my comfy non hospital bed tonight and I think I will head there shortly.

7 comments:

  1. So glad you got less guff for the homebirth this time. It's wonderful that you had more support from the medical team!

    Sweet Moira. She cracks me up.

    Davis is such a beautiful little person, and you all look so wonderfully happy together.

    Thank you for sharing all of this with us - I'm so glad he's finally here & that you're all right, and can't wait to read how your adventures evolve from this point on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congratulations on reaching a healthy birth without an eviction notice! I'm glad you got to deliver before Spencer is born, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Hoping for a restful babymoon for all of you! Glad you get to be in your own bed again tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful story! I mean, except for having to transfer, but I'm glad they were mostly nice to you there and that you're back now. Moira is cracking me up, too — sounds so familiar, down to the gifts picked out for the baby.

    Congratulations on sweet, sweet Davis and on becoming a family of four!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! What a beautiful family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from Natural Parents Network...

    Congratulations! What a beautiful family you have, and I'm so glad you had such a beautiful birth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Shannon! He is perfect, and it sounds like Moira will be a doting and very involved big sister. I hope you're getting enough rest, or as much as can be expected of a parent with a newborn, and finding lots of time to take in the newborn-ness. Such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete