Friday, September 9, 2011

Officially homeschooling

Moira was super excited to have our first day of school this week, with our co-op, home based preschool with friends. She woke up full of plans of what to wear and what to show at show and tell. (She didn't end up wanting to stand up in front of the group. Maybe next time.) She also didn't want to stop doing the lesson, even after painting 7 pictures to everyone else's 2.
Because she was so into it, I came up with a second "lesson" for the afternoon, where we took a walk and gathered leaves. I also decided to fill a basket of books, loosely themed around fall. That basket is pretty popular already, so I think we try to change it every week with the library storytime's alphabet themes.
Planning ahead for that, I decided to make a letter page for next week, with lots of pictures of A things. I was taking a break when she and Walker came downstairs to tell me it was bedtime. She assured me that Daddy could finish my work, and we agreed that Daddy probably could. He didn't even try though, maybe he couldn't think of any more A words.
I don't really think I'm planning anymore activities then normal, but it seems to make her feel really grown up when I call them lessons instead of projects. If that's all it takes to keep her happy, I'm fine with that.


1 comment:

  1. When I was homeschooling Tyler (she HSed up through 2nd grade), she LOVED Math! So we called it "Math Time" and she considered it a reward for getting all of her work done. :-)

    You go with whatever works!

    I think it is awesome that you are making letter pages from scratch, but... you know you can find them for free online, right? Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you didn't know.

    ReplyDelete