Saturday, March 19, 2011

Can you dig it?

Chicken/food
I am so glad that the sun is back, at least intermittently. I have missed non rainy days over the last month or so. Moira is very excited to help me garden which usually means she scoops the gravel from the road while I dig holes and level ground.
We have two large beds on either side of the walk way to our front door that the previous owners dumped mounds of dirt on and then sparsely planted. Since we moved in these have mostly been taken over by grass and other weeds. With the encouragement and inspiration of Kimberly, I am knocking down the mounds and digging up the weeds. I'm also redistributing the few non weed plants, and the various bulbs that are doing extremely well in my yard. As she pointed out, it doesn't matter if I lose 90% of the bluebells, I'll still have more then I could possibly use.
All this gardening has meant a number of trips to plant nurseries. We are now the proud owners of 4 blueberry bushes, one of which is pink, and a japanese pussywillow tree. It is my goal to get the front yard looking presentable this year, at least, the non lawn bits. I'm going to try and do as much of the big digging now while the ground is still wet as possible. I tried to take before and after pictures of the 1/2 a bed I've managed to tame so far, but oddly, it just looks like weeds and dirt. I will try again the next time I'm out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment