Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Just breathe

I think Moira has a cold today. Which I didn't realize until after I discussed plans for the day with her (gym class! Country Village!) that I then had to cancel if she is contagious. I was sick yesterday, so we were already getting bored and cranky with each other.
We went out and ran errands, and Moira was mostly interested in what we were doing and patient, but we were out a bit too long. By the time we got home, both of our cranky levels were set to high. She needed cuddles and I needed her to stop whining. This list of things to do instead of yelling at your kid was heavily circulated amongst my mom friends recently. Having looked at that helped me realize that I needed to do something before I lost it completely.
But here's the problem I always have. I start losing it at about hour 2 of Moira constantly being angry/sad/frustrated. Usually when she gets to that state, she will ask for cuddles, and then 2 minutes later wiggle off my lap and cry for books, or lolly pops, or water, or me to make bunny sit up straight in the grocery cart! Obviously, she's not settling down long enough to feel better, and because she hasn't calmed down, any attempt on my part to walk away from the screeching makes her cry harder.
So, I tried. I pointed out that she was sad and tired and I wanted to help her and she wasn't letting me, and that that made me sad and frustrated and that I needed a few minutes. I offered her a few minutes of snuggles first and she accepted. And then she honestly tried to let me sit by myself for a bit, but the bunny wouldn't sit up and it was the end of the world and then she elbowed me in the side, and then I yelled.
111: The artist at work
So, obviously, I need to realize I'm losing it earlier in the process. I'm happy that she's getting old enough that I can apologize and explain what happened. We snuggled some more, had a snack and then she ran off and found her stickers, which she then spent half an hour happily sticking on her easel and I was able to collect my calm again. She even napped for a little over 2 hours.
Walker isn't going to be home until bedtime tonight, and I have a headache. Moira and I are going to go out to eat and I am going to try my best to stay calm. I think I can do it.

3 comments:

  1. If you can keep from yelling, you are a stronger person than me.

    At least you have recognized your limit -- what it is and when it has been reached. I reach my limit as soon as the baby starts screaming. And she has been screaming an awful lot lately.

    I hope both you and Moira feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it helps that I only have one small person screeching at me all day. I imagine my fuse would be much shorter if I had three too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you Shannon. My kiddo is a wee bit cranky these days if she isn't getting maximum and constant attention. You can probably imagine, that's pretty often at the moment.

    ReplyDelete