Thursday, July 8, 2010

Swimming

Swimming
We signed up for swim classes at the same place we've been taking gym classes. Moira was very excited on our way there. I was a little nervous as this is the first time she's taken a class where I don't get to participate with her. I tried to briefly explain what was expected when we were on our way there, floats, Moira in the pool with teacher, me watching. She didn't care as long as there was swimming.
She was very stiff for the whole first lesson, one of the teachers let her hold a duck while she swam to try and relax her. I had to walk from side to side as she was swum back and forth to encourage her to keep holding onto the wall and not climb out. Of course, as soon as it was time to get out of the pool, she wanted more. That was Tuesday. Today, she was actually kicking her legs and couldn't wait for the part where she got to float on her back. She kept announcing to me that she was going to do it all by herself, and indeed, during one of the times where she was waiting for her turn again she completely let go of the wall and leaned back so she could float away. Twice. Fortunately, she did this on the side where I was sitting, so I could grab her and get her back to the wall.
I was considering signing her up for the next session too since she loves it so much, but I don't think I have twice weekly trips to the pool in me for that long.

1 comment:

  1. It's good for her and it's good for you for her to do something where she is not "attached".
    It WILL get easier for you to deal with it soon, and it's obviously already getting easier for her.
    You should sign her up with the expectation that you'll get more used to it, and then if you don't you can always cancel. If you don't sign up now, I'll bet the classes will be full later when you realize it isn't as draining as it was the first few sessions.

    ReplyDelete