Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Moira recommends: Books to read over and over again

I gave Moira a break from having themed book piles, and she decided to have us read our way through the works of Dr Seuss. And a few others. These are usually pulled out at bed and nap time, but she requests them periodically through the day too.

Miss Honey's Busy Day by Richard Scary. We have all four of the books in this series, and at first Humperdink's Busy Day was her favorite. I think I've had to read this before nap 10 out of the last 14 days. I don't mind the other ones, but this book drives me a little crazy. Miss Honey lives with another bear called Bruno, who calls her Miss Honey, but seems to be in some sort of romantic relationship with her? They sleep in the same room, but in different beds. Walker thinks he's a foster kid with some sort of mental disability, which is why he is also obsessed with ice cream. I just want to know what's going on! I suppose I should just be happy it's modeling different relationship options for Moira. If two bears want to play with power dynamics in a loving and committed relationship, who am I to tell them no?
A is for Angry by Sandra Boynton. I totally forgot about this book. Moira found it and is enthralled. Each letter (except X, which isn't for anything) has an animal or two and and emotion associated with it. Moira thinks this is so cool, her favorites being the outraged opossum, zany zebra and grumpy gorilla.
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr Seuss. This is such a weird book. It's also the first book I noticed Moira 'reading' out loud to herself.
If I Ran the Zoo by Dr Seuss. This is a less well known book by Dr Seuss for very good reason. There are a number of lovely stereotypes of other cultures. Including the statement that the kid who wants to run the zoo will bring back some chieftains to put on display. Fortunately, her obsession with this one seems to have been short lived, so this may get mysteriously lost.
Hop On Pop by Dr Seuss. Walker tried to get a video of Moira 'reading' most of this book, but something was wrong with the video display. Too bad, because hearing her try to read "Constantinople and Timbuktu" was awesome.
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss. My goodness this drags on and on. Fortunately, this is one that she usually wants Walker to read, not me.
The Cat In the Hat and The Cat In the Hat Comes Back by Dr Seuss. Fortunately this one is also a book for Walker to read. I suppose it's a fair trade off, since I will be reading the Pippi Longstocking books to save him from reliving the trauma of his brother's obsession with the really bad movie version. Thanks for refusing to buy a TV when I was little, Dad!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember all too well that really bad movie version :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll have to get that Sandra Boynton one. We love her books and that one sounds really neat.

    ReplyDelete