Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A hunting we will go

Taylor's Hunting Lodge quilt
This quilt is Walker's nephew, the brother of this niece. I was worried about what to make for a 10 year old boy, most of fabric is girly or childish, and I've never met him (or his sister), so I don't know what he's in to.
I dug through my scraps and sent the few older boyish scraps I could find, a few camo strips, some green hand dyed triangles and some forest animal print squares. I sent them off to the Stash Busting Bee International and asked for hunting lodge themed squares.


Back of Taylor's quilt
What I got back totally overwhelmed me. It's hard to pick favorites, of course, but the bright blue block with a tree and the sun stood out. The color palate stood out too, and I decided I would make some blocks with the extra fabric the ladies generously sent back with their blocks and some of mine and add a little more of that bright blue.
I had a hard time finding the right sashing and backing fabrics for this. I bought twice as much fabric as I ended up needing, because I couldn't make up my mind. I'm really happy with what I eventually chose. I especially like the cream fabric which has a contour map of water printed on it.
Folded
I quilted it with random diagonal lines, an idea I saw most recently at Film in the Fridge. She did both directions, but I only wanted to run the lines in one direction.
I'm happy with how it turned out. I definitely lean in the novelty fabric direction when left to my own devices, and this has plenty of novelty fabrics in it, but it was also fun to play with more tonal things for both of these quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment