Monday, May 3, 2010

Moira recommends poetry

No, she really does. We went to the library after we got back from New York and they had signs posted saying it was poetry month. I checked out a couple of books, thinking that we wouldn't have very many poetry books (not counting all the rhyming baby books) to make a pile with. Boy was I wrong. I forgot that my dad likes absurdism and much of children's poetry is absurdist. I think we had a 15 book stack and when I was putting them away at the end of the month, I found two more. Next time, and there will be a next time because she loved the poetry. Even the long books with many many poems and especially the dark and vaguely scary ones. All links now link to abebooks.com. Thank you for the suggestion, Dad.
You Read To Me, I'll Read To You by John Ciardi - With drawings by Edward Gorey! Moira likes all the poems just fine, but her favorite is "What Night Would It Be?" there is a picture of a grinning moon and some other Halloween images and the first time she saw it, she pointed to the page and said "Halloween!" before Pearl started reading. I think she must be remembering Scary Scary Halloween from the pile in October.
Chicken Soup With Rice by Maurice Sendak - Technically, this is a song and I can never read this one without singing it, but I decided it was close enough to a poem, so it joined the pile.
Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich by Adam Rex - This book was in the Halloween pile with Scary Scary Halloween, but she wasn't at all interested in it then. Now it's a favorite, mostly because of the inclusion of a poem about Zombies. These are all scary poems in that not at all scary, but about traditionally scary things way.
The Adventures of Isabel bu Ogden Nash - Isabel is not scared of anything, and a little scary herself. She eats a bear, turns a witch into milk and beheads a giant. Moira thinks this story is awesome.

2 comments:

  1. At the thrift store she pointed to a clown doll and said "Halloween". So, there's more to it than that, but I'm not sure what.

    I also thought the adventures of Isabel was AWESOME, and wish it had been available to read to Mirella at the appropriate age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. I'd been thinking what I need to add to the poetry collection just the other day - perfect timing!

    Have you tried her on Shel Silverstein, yet?

    ReplyDelete