Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Moira recommends: Love love love

We have a couple of stacks around the house right now. Books about sleep by the bed, foreign languages in the TV room, and in the living room a stack of books about cars and the favorites from the stack of books about love I pulled out mid January. I had originally intended to leave the love stack out until Valentine's Day, but Walker was getting antsy for everyone in the house to properly celebrate his new car (he may be a little excited about that), so that stack came out early, and I wasn't ready to put away the love books that she loves so much. So, without further ado!
The Kiss That Missed by David Melling: The king is very busy and his goodnight kiss misses his son, his loayal knight heads out to retrieve it. Moira loves all the kissing that happens during the quest. I just found out that David Melling made more books with the same characters (The knight babysits the prince and princess!) and I really don't think it was a good enough story to warrant sequels.
Olivia by Ian Falconer: I love the simple graphic black, white and red illustrations. I think Moira loves that Olivia is wild and crazy.
Whose Mouse Are You? by Jose Aruego: Very sad and sweet. Moira seems to love stories where the kid is alone and then manages to find or rescue their family, and this one fits the bill. This was one of my favorites as a child, so I'm happy she likes it too.
Mama, Do You Love Me? by Barbara M Joose: I think this one has a similar appeal to Moira as "Whose Mouse Are You?", only in this one the kid is trying to see what she can get away and still have Mama love her. Plus it ends with a kiss.
I Lost My Bear by Jules Feiffer: Jules Feiffer is a favorite of my Dad. I like that his stories are always quirky and odd. I also like that his illustrations manage to capture the perspective of a child where everything is huge and your bookshelf goes on forever and ever. I don't want to ruin the surprise for you, but the bear gets found.
Will You Be My Friend? by me: This is totally cheating, because who doesn't love a book full of pictures of themselves. Since it was about Moira's friends, it got put in the pile.

2 comments:

  1. L likes "Kiss, Kiss" and it sounds like it might be up Moira's alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a copy of "Mama, Do you love me?" It reminds me of home. Especially the clothing.

    ReplyDelete