Friday, January 29, 2010

Parenting fail.

Yesterday, after Moira and I picked up my sewing machines, I locked her in the car with the keys. I'm impressed it was my first time doing actually. I managed to stay calm, and make her think it was just some weird game I was playing and called AAA. They wouldn't give me an ETA, but assured me I was at the top of the list. The last time I locked a kid in the car (mid 90's, kid was asleep, engine running, I had to run into the gas station to make the call) the dispatcher put my request in as soon as I told him the problem and then got the rest of my information; this time the lady went really slowly and double checked everything and THEN put it in, so the phone call alone took 15 minutes. I called Walker when I got off the phone to get some commiseration, forgetting that he has a brand new car, and was therefore happy to run home, grab the spare keys and come to me on the of chance he would get there before AAA.
He did, easily. And five minutes before he arrived, when Moira was really getting upset with this stupid game Mommy was playing, I discovered that the driver's side door had been unlocked all along. I guess I did well making it seem like it was no big deal because as soon as I got her out of the car she was fine, although she assumed Walker must be there because I had been telling her that he was on his way to help us. I didn't start crying until he showed up.

The other awesome thing that's going on is that now when Moira wake up in the middle of the night, she quietly climbs up on the bed over Walker to snuggle up to me. She manages this so well, sometimes I don't wake up until she's fallen back asleep there and I get elbowed in an uncomfortable place. Sadly, this is meaning that I get to be awake for a couple of hours in the early morning, since she wakes up to nurse a couple of times before 5:30am if she's next to me. Fortunately we have everything we need to make her room dark so she can sleep in there, we just have to get her room set up for sleeping. We plan to do that this weekend, and give it a shot. Wish us luck.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a scary situation-- one that will probably happen to us at some point, too-- and I hope can keep it together (no tears until the end) as well as you did. And good luck with the room transition this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the transition! I hope it's a smooth one that she responds to well!

    I've been fortunate enough to not lock the kids in with the keys yet, but... knock wood!

    I was with a friend who locked her son in though and we ended up having the cops come to help get him out. It was a bit warm outside and getting warm in the car. Scary!

    ReplyDelete