Friday, October 16, 2009

Halloween books

Baby pumpkin
It's possible that Halloween is my favorite holiday. This is a little odd, since I don't like horror or suspense. But I do love dressing up, and babies in pumpkin shirts. We always go to Canada to trick or treat with friends, and when I was packing last year, I realized that I had a Halloween outfit for the five days we would be there before Halloween. This year, Moira's Halloween wardrobe is significantly smaller but only because there was nothing in the dollar spot at Target that would fit her. I looked.
I decided to pull all the Halloween books I could find (and the books about monsters and wizards) from her vast picture book collection. They have been sitting in a little stack by the fireplace, and she has been digging through them. The favorites are:
A Job For Wittilda by Caralyn Buehner - This keeps her attention despite how long it is, probably because of all the cats. And the chance to practice meowing.
Scary Scary Halloween by Eve Bunting - Another book with cats in it, but they really only appear on the last page. Moira seems to like the fact that it rhymes more then anything. The pictures are by Jan Brett, which I like
The Whingdingdilly by Bill Peet - This one is only good to look through on your own. She actually used to bring this to me to have me read it when she was first pulling books off the shelves on her own, but each page has multiple paragraphs of text on it and it's just too long to keep her attention. The pictures captivate her, but I'm not sure why.

Bonus non Halloweeny book:
10 Little Dinosaurs by Jim Harris - With the Halloween books pulled off the shelf, she can get this one off the shelf, so it's always coming out. There is a big pair of wiggle eyes attached to the front of the book, and holes in each of the page. It's written in the 10 little monkeys style, but each page is a different kind of dinosaur and each dinosaur type is doing a different silly thing.

1 comment:

  1. We love the dinosaur one at our house too! We don't have it, but L loves it at our friend's house!

    ReplyDelete