Monday, September 14, 2009

Good old Murphy

When I woke up this morning I realized that the busy week I had thought I had was actually pretty empty. Especially since Moira has been falling asleep too early to make it worth it to try and go to the 11am play date I was hoping we could go to. I said something on Facebook about having nothing to do today.
Moira and I went to the grocery store and when we came home I discovered tiny pink spots all over her front and back from neck to crotch. So I called the Doctor and got an 11:30 appointment, and we hightailed it over there.
After our last round of shots, Moira suddenly developed a fear of bandaids and stickers. That is gone apparently, at least for stickers, and she has developed a more rational fear of anything the nurse or doctor might do to her, including having me take off her clothes in the exam room. So, the exam was fun, with the screaming because we were measuring her and then more screaming while I had to hold down head, legs and arms so the doctor could look in her ears.
Fortunately, the most likely culprit is a viral infection, which isn't contagious and should clear up in 7 to 10 days. The second most likely option is that she had an impressively severe reaction to the three sunflower seeds she had with mid morning snack. We get to monitor her temperature and look for itchyness, and wait.
Of course this makes me think of something that happened 13 years ago. My Mom called and told me that there was new research and scientists now think MS was caused by a virus a kid gets sometime in their first year that causes a rash, but no fever. I hung up the phone and before I could step away, it rang. Sarah called to tell me that her 1 year old had a strange rash, but no fever or itchyness and it was so weird. So of course I told her. That was maybe not the most comforting thing to say.
So, when Moira gets MS in 40 years, remember, you heard it here first.

2 comments:

  1. Pshaw! I'm sure that won't be the last unexplained rash without a fever. You'll be looking back in 40 years and going, "but WHICH ONE was it?!?!?"
    ~pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a long time ago, and I haven't heard any further updates on that. It can't be right. kiss kiss. Nain

    ReplyDelete