Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Favorite books at 16 months

Tickle Tickle by Helen Oxenbury
I don't mind this one so much. It's short, it's cute, and she's started doing the motions I was doing (pretending to wash her tummy, brush her hair) and giggling as she waits for the 'surprise' tickling at the end.

Good Night Gorilla by Peggy Rathman
Another one that's not so bad to read, because there's not many words. Plus, Moira is starting to make the surprised mouth when the wife realizes that all the animals are in her bedroom. Walker thinks it's highly unfair that the Armadillo is the only one without a stuffed version of itself (it has an Ernie doll instead).

The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too! by Mo Willems
I would kick Dad for having bought this one if Moira didn't like it so very much. I'm surprised she's that into it since it has such simple illustrations. I guess I should read the other books in the series to find out why he has such a bad relationship with the Bus Driver, or at least the one called The Pigeon Loves Things That Go since there's a bus on the cover. That probably explains it, right?

Where is My Teddy Bear? by Frida Bing
An exciting and suspenseful book. Moira's favorite page is the one with the duck on it. Fortunately, the flaps you lift to reveal the hidden toy are big and sturdy enough that Moira can't accidentally rip them.

My Nose, My Toes and Me! by Frida Bing
This is the sister book to the one above, and Moira greatly prefers it. She reliably points at all her body parts mentioned in the book, except her eyes, which are first. I think she's worried she'll accidentally poke her eyes. Which, given how hard she likes to jab my eyes, is a big possibility.

Opposites by Robert Crowther
Another new book from my Dad. When Moira noticed this one and we read it for the first time she thought it was the best thing in the world. In fact, I had to hide it on the counter eventually because she threw a temper tantrum everytime I finished the book and closed it. We read it 5 times in a row before I decided it was time to calm down. It's a pop up style book which is exciting and opposites is her favorite thing to read about, so I guess it was destined to be a favorite.

One Moose, Twenty Mice by Clare Beaton
There is a cat hiding on each page and Moira can find most of them, except for the pages where all you can see is the tail. And the page with the Moose on it, because apparently Moose are that exciting. I like this one a lot because all the pictures are made of felt and beads.

Petit Poney printed by Grund
I can't find this one, is in French and I found it at a thrift store. The book is pony shaped and has flaps to lift. She really seems to like anything we read in another language out of proportion with the actual interest of the book, so that may be most of the draw. You'll be happy to know that the little pony does eventually find someone to play with, although why a cow, a pig and a goat are hiding in a hay pile, I don't know.

How to Be a Cow by Shelly Meredith
This one I will kick Dad for buying. It rhymes, it's nonsensical, and it seems to be pushing some sort of strange pro conformity message (yay herd mentality!). The best part is when it ends and I hide it so Moira can't insist I read it again 5 seconds later.

Pajama time! by Sandra Boynton
I have such a love/hate relationship with Sandra Boynton. Some of her books, like Doggies or Moo Baa La La La are great, but for every one of her books I love, there's one like Pajama Time that I hate. This is the book version of a song she wrote. I've never heard the song,but I have to assume it's better with music then it is in text. Moira seems to like it best after the ugliest pajamas ever make an appearance, but sadly they don't show up for the big dance party scenes. The warthog must be to embarrassed.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, she's really into opposites? That's interesting. I wonder if that has something to do with trying to learn to sort and categorize and shtuffs...

    ~pearl

    ReplyDelete