Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Mother's Day craftyness

Birthday block quilt
I've been working on finally assembling the blocks from last year's LJ birthday block swap into a quilt for our California King sized bed. I also used most of the blocks I got in another swap in 2005/2006, because, well, it needs to be huge. We've been using the quilt my friends and I made for my husband's birthday years ago, but that is only queen sized, and so we are constantly fighting for blanket, a situation that is worse now that we have a baby helping us use up blanket at night. I keep looking at it and thinking how huge this quilt is, and then I put it on the bed, and look! It barely covers it! Time for more sashing! I have some 4"x5" rectangles I'm going to put around the edges, one row on the top and 2 on the other three sides, and I think that will be enough, but we'll see. Then I have to figure out how I'm going to quilt the dang thing.
Garden Steps for sames5
I finished this actually on Mother's Day, and it's washed and waiting for Walker to have time to take it to the Post Office (He's on call this week, but as the nearest PO is right across the street from his office, it's still faster for him to take it to work and not be able to mail it for a few days then for me to try and do it). I'm pleased with how it turned out, but filled with doubt about whether or not it's mini enough for the Mini Quilt in a Bag swap because I always think whatever I do isn't good enough, which is why I tend to give things I make away, rather then keep them around and stare at the obvious glaring imperfections that no one else ever sees. Did I ever tell you about the time I argued with my sewing teacher about the A+ she gave me because there was a little scoop in the hem of my otherwise perfectly assembled jacket? No? Good.
On that same vein, I'm going to participate in the May Giveaway Day organized by Sew Mama Sew, because well, I have a lot of things that I made for my now defunct Etsy store that I gave up on trying to sell. I think I am going to give away my absolute favorite thing from that, but I will wait for May 27th to give more details.

1 comment: