Saturday, March 21, 2009

Nodding their heads in agreement

Jonquils

I should wait on this until I get a picture of the daffodils since they are virtually the same thing, but I want to get this done while I'm thinking about it.
30. Jonquils
Already knew: These are related to Daffodils, but smaller, and apparently, French. They are a member of the Narcissus family. They are bulbs the same as Crocuses and Lily of the Valley. They are yellow, and unlike Daffodils I've never seen them in a different color. They have a central trumpet shaped petal and then a bunch of pointy ones around the outside. Unlike with many other kinds of bulbs, you don't have to worry about wildlife digging up the bulbs and eating them because they are poisonous.
Recently learned: All member of the Narcissus contain the alkaloid poison lycorine, in the bulb and stem. I guess the flower is safe to eat. Traditional Japanese medicine (Kampo) and the ancient Romans used to use Narcissus plants a medicine. It is not listed as a medicine in current Kampo. In China, Narcissus plants are a symbol of wealth and good fortune. It is the national flower of Wales.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is SO cute and you baby is a doll! How fun to do vintage photos- what a great idea!! I will for sure be back! I am excited for the fat quarter swap!

    ReplyDelete