Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ground cover

So yes, I know you CAN eat rosemary and mushrooms and that many people enjoy them. I still say eeeeeew.
Neither of these plants would be a good grass replacement for 's lawn, but I post them regardless.


11.English Ivy
Already knew: English Ivy is a vine that will take over your yard if you let it, but is much easier to control then Bindweed. I don't really know much about it. I guess I also know that it will act like a bush if you don't give it something to climb up, and that you don't want to let it crawl up your house or it will eat the walls. Go ivy!
Recently learned: The flowers are rich in nectar. The leaves are only three pointed (like I always think of Ivy leaves) when they are juvenile. When the reach adulthood, they smooth out and look more classically leafy. The leaves and berries are an expectorant and it has been used to treat Bronchitis. So maybe this would be a good choice for 's lawn, since her hubby gets Bronchitis at the drop of a hat.





12.Fern
Already knew: I don't know why, but every time I say 'fern' I want to shout it. That's not a fact about the plant, it's just weird. There are many different varieties of ferns, but since the only one I can tell apart from the rest of the species is the Fiddlehead, and then only when it's baby shoots coming up, I'm giving up and just calling this a plant I recognize. You can rub the pollen on your nettle stings and it's supposed to help, although it never worked well for me. Ferns like to grow in damp shady places, like forests. Ferns are also the oldest living species on earth.
Recently learned: The study of ferns is called pteridology. A fern is a seedless, vascular plant. Fern species live in a variety of places including deserts and in the water. Most of the wikipedia page is too complicated for me to want to wade through it, so that's all you get.

No comments:

Post a Comment