Friday, May 2, 2008

1880's vs 1940's

I'm currently typing up a book hand typed by Walker's great-great uncle in the 1940's describing his childhood in the 1870's-1880's. It's interesting in an historical way, but it's really getting on my nerves because he is a bigot. I'm trying to remember that his views on "negroes" are actually relatively good considering the time in which he lived, but it still makes me want to scream when I have to read it. However, it's making me much better at transcribing without actually remembering the information I'm typing.

The one thing that makes this worth it is that he was a cranky old man at the time of writing this so he keeps talking about things that were better when he was a kid. Here is a short list:

Electric Lights (old arc lights gave brighter light then your modern incandescent, so it was like daytime even at night)
Bread (homemade versus mass produced 40's white bread, I can't argue with him there)
Children (children were less spoiled in his day, because their parents used corporeal punishment)
Pigs (modern pigs, like modern children are spoiled and lazy)
Wars (it was more manly in the Civil War when you fought face to face like men)
Umbrellas (umbrellas were bigger, modern umbrellas are the size of a girly parasol)

This is the kind of grumpy-old-man-ness that Walker aspires to. Hopefully without the bigotry, or I'll have to kick him in the nads.

No comments:

Post a Comment